Wednesday, March 27, 2013

About me and how I hired attorney Jerome Karam



Last year I had a pretty bad car accident. I was driving home one evening when a drunken guy driving a Hummer didn’t see the yield sign and crashed into me. My car was totalled, and I ended up in hospital with a broken hip, where I spent three weeks. I underwent two surgeries in the mean time, and had to spend another four weeks recovering. It goes without saying that I couldn’t work all this time.

My PIP insurance policy paid for my immediate medical expenses, but not for the recovery procedures. I paid for everything out of my pocket, and then had to sue the other driver for the difference. And this is where the funny part starts.

The drunken driver didn’t have insurance. He was 21 and the son of a local hotshot. I was literally told by the local police that no one would even look at my claim, and it would get “lost” in a drawer or on somebody’s desk.

My life had become quite a mess. I’m not a rich guy, and the medical expenses in the US are quite high. I had almost maxed out on all credit cards, and I was starting to miss repayments. I also lost my job in the mean time, because a guy with a broken hip cannot climb on ladders (I worked as an electrician at a small company), and that’s what they needed.

The only shot I had was suing for the medical expenses and the property damage (I had no collision insurance). After lengthy research, I ended up hiring attorney Jerome Karam, and it was the best decision I could have made.

After a brief discussion, he took my case and said that a positive outcome is almost certain. His belief is that justice always prevails, no matter how influential the opponent is. And so it turned out to be – I got reimbursed for the medical recovery bills, the car, the pain and suffering and the lost incomes.

The settlement allowed me to pay off my credit cards, start rebuilding my credit score, and get a new car.

With the gloomy employment perspectives these days, I am strongly considering starting my own business. I noticed there is a stringent need for slow food restaurants in this area, and my wife is a great cook. She could do the cooking and I could do the marketing and the deliveries. Life surely looks beautiful now, thanks to Jerome Karam. If it hadn’t been for him and his law firm, I would have probably still been jobless, car-less, depressed and in huge debt.

That’s about it for today. In a future article, I will give you some tips about how to work with your lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment